Position Available: Animal Control Officer
The purpose of this position is to enforce animal control ordinances and to capture and care for stray animals. Successful performance contributes to the enforcement of animal control ordinances.
The work consists of related duties in the enforcement of animal control ordinances. Frequent interruptions, confrontational people, and dangerous animals contribute to the complexity of the work. Responds to calls and investigates complaints of injured, nuisance, stray, dangerous, or diseases animals.
· Leads and initiates investigations on animal cruelty; collects evidence and testifies in court.
· Issues verbal warnings and written citations.
· Patrols the county to locate and pick up stray, injured, vicious, and potentially rabid animals.
· Houses animals for rabies quarantine.
· Loads, delivers, sets, and baits animal traps; removes captured animals from traps.
· Responds to after-hours emergencies.
· Interviews citizens and files reports related to animal bites; completes required documentation.
· Completes animal intakes.
· Provides care for shelter animals.
· Processes animal adoptions.
· Provides information and assistance to the general public.
· Maintains and repairs equipment and tools; maintains department facilities.
· Arranges animal transportation to other facilities.
· Removes animal carcasses from roadway.
· Maintains vehicle, tools, and equipment.
· Maintains all county facilities.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
· The work is typically performed while sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee must frequently lift light and heavy objects, distinguish between shades of color, and use tools and equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
· The work is typically performed in an office, animal shelter, or in the field. The employee may be exposed to dust, dirt, excessive noise, traps with moving parts, contagious and infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and dangerous or diseased animals. The work is performed outdoors where the employee may be exposed to cold or inclement weather. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, and gloves.
· Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
· Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
· Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The Long County Government offers a competitive hourly salary, overtime, and benefits including 100% paid employee health insurance. We also offer a retirement program and sick and vacation leave.
Long County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs.